January 26, 2005

Love & dating...28

Like I said, trust is sometimes a choiceless acceptance of what you don't know yet.

These stories that I heard, this pain that I can empathise with, these episodes of misplaced trust. It makes me question about this whole idea of marriage. The instituition of marriage crumbles so easily that sometimes, it's hard to believe people when they tell you they think marriage is for a lifetime. You just feel like throwing them the statistics and tell them to wake up their idea. It's like, which planet did you come from?

I've heard increasingly lot about getting married since I'm in that age group and my girlfriends are well, getting off the shelf. I tell you, people DO marry for all kinds of strange reasons. It's rather amusing, really. It's like a means to an end and boy, isn't the end so different for everyone!

Then, you start hearing about friends or old schoolmates filing for divorce. I tell you, people divorce for mostly the SAME kind of reason! The irony of it!

I think at the point when you decide to say 'I do' to someone, the assumption is that you know enough about him/her to want to spend the rest (or at least a good many years) of your life with him/her. We won't marry people for no real reason or when we hardly know the person, do we? Ok. Most of us don't.

So, how can this 'knowing him/her' turn out to be so wrong? I think, the hurt is as much about how much the other person seemed to have changed as it is about how wrong we were in our understanding and judgement.

Actually, how do we know what do we marry for? I don't know, man. It's like hanging on to something to see what's the worse that can happen. So, what's the bloody point, actually?

I usually don't make a lot of sense if I don't have a real answer or opinion. Do you have one? Share with me. Drop me a comment on marriage.

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 22:16